I feel somewhat guilty for not talking about this sooner but I just now feel comfortable enough in my decision to share with the blog world. When Henry was four months old he woke up 5 to 7 times a night and I was at the end of my rope. The new mommy hormones had definitely worn off and I was stressed out and exhausted ALL the time. We had tried co-sleeping, feeding him when he woke up, not feeding him, giving him a paci, not giving him a paci, swaddling, the sleep sheep, sleepy puppy, and silence and none of these things helped him sleep through the night. At his four month check-up the pediatrician told us that it was okay to start giving Henry solids so we started the very same night. That night we also started letting Henry cry it out. We made sure his belly was full of yummy food, his diaper was clean and he was comfortable in his room and then we let him cry. It was really really tough to just sit there and listen to him cry, and we didn't just let him cry until he fell asleep, we periodically checked on him and patted his back and told him it was going to be okay and then left his room. After only two days we began to see results, and within a week he was only waking up once a night. Now at 6 months he is an awesome sleeper. We put him down awake in his crib every night and he talks himself to sleep and continues to sleep for 12 hours. I don't know if the solids are what helped him sleep or crying it out sleep "trained" him but the combination of both solved all of our problems.
I was hesitant to talk about this because I think crying it out is kind of taboo. If you would have asked me before I had a kid what I thought about crying it out, I would have said its horrible and should never be used. I've read that when you let your kid cry he learns that he cannot count on you to meet his most basic needs, and while I understand that babies only way of communication is crying I don't think we've somehow damaged our son by teaching him to be a better sleeper. I've learned that with kids you should never say never. We are very happy with our choice and we would do it again. Henry is a well rounded little guy, he knows we love him, and he sleeps well at night. I don't think crying it out should have such a bad reputation, in some situations you have to do what you have to do and we are all much happier and well rested now that baby H is getting more sleep.
Jordan, you are an awesome mom and Henry is an awesome baby! If anyone judges you, shame on them. We're all doing what we think is best for our kids, and everyone does it differently!
ReplyDeleteWe have such opposite experiences being on different sides of the country. 'Round these parts people look at you crosseyed when you pick up a crying baby.
ReplyDeleteI hope you never felt bad about any of the CIO stuff I've said in my blog. That was all in response to rednecks constantly telling me I was spoiling him.
I think that every family has to do what is right for them. I am so glad that y'all are sleeping better.
We are going through the wakeful period now and it is one of the most trying experiences I've ever had. I feel so conflicted about what to do. We've started bedsharing full time and it seems to be helping. I remember saying I would never do that. Live and learn!
I think you are an excellent mommy and you are right. YOU know what is best for Henry and he is a happy, healthy little boy!
ReplyDeleteThis is Hayley Smith BTW
oh, I wish I could do it! We have been talking about letting Noah cry for months, but there is always a REALLY good reason why he shouldn't cry, like teeth, just started rolling over, almost sitting, had first haircut, etc.
ReplyDeleteHenry is the most adorable little guy, and you guys are awesome parents!!
You are both awesome parents!!! So happy that Henry is sleeping so well and you & Tim getting more rest. So proud of all of you!! Grandma B
ReplyDeleteI totally agree. I never let Benjamin cry it out until he was 10 months old,but that was because he wanted a full meal every 2 hours, and I couldnt let him not eat. :) It didn't "work" for me, but he would eat-and not just snack, so I let him.
ReplyDeleteBailey- well, she is different. She goes to sleep just like Henry does, only there was no crying it out. She just stares at the crib soother-and goes out.
But believe me, if my situation was like yours- both babies would be fussing in their crib! :)