Friday, June 24, 2011

The most nutritious vegetable in the world

In January I remember one of my classmates going on and on about how great kale chips are so the next time I was at the grocery store I saw a little snack size bag of them and thought I'd give them a try.
Seriously, never waste your money on these, so nasty!
They were disgusting! I did not understand how this guy from school could possibly go nuts for something that was so gross.

Fast forward to last night. We were about to sit down and watch a new show after Henry was in bed and we wanted a snack to munch on. Tim got some kale from the farm this week so we decided to give homemade kale chips a try. He used this recipe:

Ingredients

1 bunch kale
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon seasoned salt

Directions
  • Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). 
  • Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper. (We didn't do this)
  • With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt. (Bite sized pieces are key, because the kale doesn't really shrink like we thought it would. Also we don't have a salad spinner so we just dried them with napkins)
  • Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes.

Man oh man they were seriously the best thing EVER! I think I could survive on nothing but kale chips from now on, I'm not even playing around here!

4 comments:

  1. Bird Girls Can Fly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade kale chips= a kiss from an angel, but the shit from the store takes like molded Pringles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kale is so good for you, too! I'm trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i NEED to make these. i feel like everywhere i go people are talking about how good they are.

    ReplyDelete