Monday, December 19, 2011

Our Weekend

What a great weekend! On Saturday morning Henry woke up at the crack of dawn so we got up and I made breakfast and coffee. Once breakfast was finished Tim decided to get a jump on early morning Christmas shopping and took Henry so I got to take a nice long nap and be lazy most of the afternoon while they were out and about. We had friends over for dinner on Saturday night and I tried two new recipes which I know is not a good idea , but both turned out wonderful! I made a kale carbonara from this recipe. It only took about 15 minutes total to make and was really really delicious.
Kale Carbonara
prep time: 2 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
serves: 8-10
Ingredients
1 lb whole-wheat thin spaghetti
5 pieces thick-cut bacon, diced
1 bunch Lacinato Kale, stems removed and coarsely chopped
2 eggs
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
red pepper flakes
  1. Cook pasta according to package instructions
  2. While pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat
  3. Add diced bacon, and saute until crispy
  4. Remove half the fat from the pan, and add the kale to the pan with the bacon
  5. Saute kale until wilted
  6. Whisk eggs together in a bowl with the cheese and some salt and black pepper
  7. Once pasta is cooked, add it to the pan with the kale and bacon.  Turn off the heat
  8. Immediately add the egg/cheese mixture to the hot pasta, kale and bacon.  Stir to combine.  If it appears too dry, add some of the pasta cooking water to loosen it up a bit.
For dessert I made coffee cake for the first time ever and it was also very simple and delicious!

Coffee Cake

prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 35 minutes
serves: 8+
Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
3/4 cup milk, or as needed
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

streusel topping
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. Make the streusel topping: In a medium bowl, combine 1/4 cup flour, 2/3 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Crack an egg into a measuring cup and then fill add milk to make 1 cup. Stir in vanilla. Pour into crumb mixture and mix just until moistened. Spread into prepared pan. Sprinkle top with streusel.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool. 
Sunday we got up and headed down to Olympia to visit our friends, their 3 year old son Robert and their 3 week old son Alistair. He was so tiny! I honestly can't remember Henry ever being so tiny but he was. They got Henry an awesome book called The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson, I had never heard of it before yesterday but we've already read it about a hundred times and its still good!
Tim holding Alistair
Then we came back to Seattle, dropped Henry off with my parents and had an impromptu date. We went to the movies to see Young Adult. It was okay, we both thought it would be funnier. Also I can't stand super awkward situations in real life and this movie was kind of one giant awkward situation.

I hope you all had a great weekend too!

No comments:

Post a Comment